Frequently Asked Questions

What is an enrolled agent, and how can they help me?
An Enrolled Agent (EA) is a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and who is empowered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the Internal Revenue Service for audits, collections, and appeals. Only Enrolled Agents, Attorneys, and CPAs may represent taxpayers before the IRS. Enrolled Agents advise, represent, and prepare tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any entities with tax-reporting requirements.
Do we charge for estimates?
We do not charge for general estimates where the goal is to merely get you “in the ballpark” of your liability. Deeper dive estimates are an entirely different animal. We prepare these types of estimates when a client, for whatever reason, desires a higher degree of certainty of his/her pending tax. These estimates can take hours to properly prepare, and we charge an additional fee for them.
What documents do we need to prepare a return?

When preparing your return, we need any and all official documents you receive throughout the year. These notices usually come in the mail in envelopes with “Important tax information enclosed” written on the front. While there is no all-encompassing list of documents needed that will be true for each return, below are some of the most common forms we use for returns:

  • W-2
  • 1099-NEC
  • 1099-R
  • 1099-DIV
  • 1099-SA
  • 1099-INT
  • Composite 1099
  • 1098
  • 1098-T
  • 5498
  • 1095
  • Schedule K-1
I’ve received a written notice from the IRS; what does it mean?

IRS notices are usually labelled by the type of notice but are general forms not specific to your situation. For our clients, please tell us if you’ve received a notice right when you see it, that way if action is required we are able to do so in a timely matter. Below is a quick reference list for the most common types of notices.

  • CP14 – Issued as a first notice to inform a taxpayer of a balance due when there is no math error.
  • CP171 – Reminder of overdue taxes due
  • CP504 – Notice of intent to levy
  • CP2000 – Changes made to return

Contact us for a complimentary initial consultation!

Privacy Policy: The privacy of your client information has always been important to J. Marc Lewis & Associates, LLC, and we have always been bound by professional standards of confidentiality. However, we are now required by law to formally inform you of our privacy policy. 

We collect nonpublic personal information about you that is provided by you or obtained by J. Marc Lewis & Associates, LLC with your authorization. This information may come from various sources, including information we receive from personal interviews, tax organizers, worksheets and other documents necessary to provide professional services to you. J. Marc Lewis & Associates, LLC does not disclose any nonpublic personal information about their clients or former clients to anyone, except as permitted or required by law, or when necessary to process transactions requested by a client. J. Marc Lewis & Associates, LLC restricts access to nonpublic personal information about you to members of our firm who need to know that information in order to provide you professional services. We retain records relating to the professional services that we provide you in accordance with accounting and government standards. J. Marc Lewis & Associates, LLC employs physical, electronic, and procedural security safeguards to protect your nonpublic personal information.

Your confidence and trust are important to us. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the privacy of your nonpublic personal information, please contact our office during normal business hours.